An easy to make fetcook recipe using store-bought bread dough. Light and crispy on the outside and hollow on the inside to fill with your favorite filling.
- Store bought bread dough
- Vegetable cooking oil
- Lightly flour a flat surface like your kitchen table. Then roll out the bread dough with a bread roller to about 6mm thickness. Make sure to turn the dough around twice.
- Using a cookie cutter with a diameter of about 10mm cut the dough into circles and place it on a lightly floured tray. Cover the dough cakes with a plastic sheet and leave in a warm place for about 15 minutes or so until it has risen to about 3 times its original size.
- While the dough is rising, add about 3 inches/ 8cm of vegetable oil to your wok and heat up to 185°C/ 365°F (Make sure there are no kids running around that can knock over the hot oil, Safety first)
- Gently add the first fetcook into the hot oil. Now continuously pour hot oil over the fetcook with a slotted spoon until it rises and puffs up. Do this for a few minutes until it keeps its shape. Then you can leave if for 5 minutes until nicely browned on the bottom side. Gently turn the cake over and cook forn another 5 minutes or so until it is nicely browned all over.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and place on a tray that is lined with absorbent paper. Give it 2 minutes to cool down a bit and then you can cut it open and fill it with your favorite filling either sweet or savory.
- After your first effort, you can add 3 or 4 fetcooks at a time and repeat the process as described above.
- The equipment section above contains affiliate links to products I use or recommend.
- The biggest secret to a crispy and big fetcook is to continuously pour hot oil over the fetcook with a slotted spoon in the beginning until it has taken its shape.
- If you find that the fetcook loses its shape while cooking just pour some hot oil over the spot until it rises and puffs up again.
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Cook Time: 10 min
- Category: Main meal
- Method: Deep fry
- Cuisine: International