A lovely vegetarian curry. You can adjust the heat as you want. Just omit the chilies and chili powder if you want a more mild curry. Just as delicious.
- 300g of Halloumi cheese cut into 1-inch cubes
- Salt to taste
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 cup cream
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 Tablespoon Coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon Garam Masala
- 1 teaspoon curry leaves
- 2 bay leafs
- 20 Cashew nuts soaked in water for 20 minutes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 2 medium onions finely chopped or 1 big onion
- 2 green chilies cut into small disks
- 1 tablespoon mild curry powder
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil and 2 tablespoons butter in cast iron pan or wok over medium heat and saute the finely cut onion with and bay leaf until brown. (15 minutes or so). When it is soft and brown add the garlic and ginger and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Then add the green chili and curry powder and saute for 60 seconds. Also, add the cashew nut paste and stir for about 3 minutes. Add some salt.
- Add the tomato paste and cook for about 4 minutes. Add the coriander powder, garam masala, curry leaves, and mix well.
- Add the coconut milk and cream. Mix well and simmer for another 5 minutes. Add the halloumi cheese and simmer for about 3 minutes until you have the sauce thickness you desire.
- Serve with naan bread or basmati rice.
- The equipment section above contains affiliate links to products I use or recommend.
- You can use a mortar and pestle to grind the cashew nuts to form a paste.
- You can of course always substitute the halloumi cheese with chicken breast and make a chicken curry.
Please rate this recipe if you enjoyed it. Thanks!
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 25 min
- Category: Main meal
- Method: Pan
- Cuisine: Indian