A tomato-based chicken karahi recipe from Pakistan. Slow-cooked for 2:30 hours until all the flavors combine to produce a masterpiece!
- 6 Mixed chicken pieces
- Ghee or Olive oil
- Tomatoes cut into quarters( Same weight as chicken)
- 1 tbsp ginger minced
- 1 whole piece of ginger root
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- 1tsp paprika
- 2 green chilies sliced in chunks
- 0.5 tsp cumin powder
- 0.5 tsp allspice
- 0.5 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 0.5 bunch of fresh coriander leaves washed.
- 2 Peeled Potatoes cut into halve (Optional)
- Add ghee or olive oil to a deep pan and brown the chicken pieces on medium heat then remove from the pan.
- Add the ginger and garlic. Gently fry them until fragrant. 5 minutes or so. Add all the spices except the garam masala and gently fry them for another 2 minutes.
- Deglaze the pan with a little bit of water( No more than 2 tbsp). Add the tomatoes, chilies, and potatoes with some salt and pepper.
- Cook uncovered for 10 minutes stirring occasionally and squashing the tomatoes until they start to form a sauce.
- Replace the lid and cook on the lowest heat for 2 hours 30 minutes until the potatoes are soft.
- Stir in the garam masala and coriander leaves and cook uncovered for 5 more minutes until you have a sauce thickness to your liking.
- Serve with rice, naan, or roti.
- The equipment section above contains affiliate links to products I use or recommend.
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Cook Time: 150 min
- Category: Main meal
- Method: Slow cooked
- Cuisine: Pakistani
Keywords: Chicken Karahi