Lokma is a delicious and easy Turkish dessert. Sweet balls of dough fried until golden and covered with tasty syrup
For the dough
- Store-bought bread dough
- Vegetable cooking oil
For the syrup
- 2 1/3 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
Making the syrup
About 30 minutes before you start cooking the dough prepare the syrup.
- Mix the sugar and water and add to a saucepan. Gently heat it up for about 10-15 minutes until sugar is a syrup consistency. Add the lemon juice and cook for another 5 minutes or so. Leave it to cool down.
Cooking the dough
- Lightly flour a flat surface like your kitchen table. Then roll out the bread dough with a bread roller to about 6mm thickness. Make sure to turn the dough around twice.
- Use a circular bottle cap or something similar with a diameter of about 4cm (1.5inches) cut the dough into circles and place it on a lightly floured tray. Cover the dough with a plastic sheet and leave it in a warm place for about 15 minutes or so until it has risen to about double its original size.
- While the dough is rising, add about 3 inches/ 8cm of vegetable oil to your wok and heat up to 185°C/ 365°F (Make sure there are no kids running around that can knock over the hot oil, Safety first)
- Gently add the first lokma ball into the hot oil. Now continuously pour hot oil over the dough with a slotted spoon until it rises and puffs up. Do this for a few minutes until it keeps its shape. Then you can leave it for 1-2 minutes until nicely browned.
- Remove the lokma balls with a slotted spoon and place them on a plate with absorbent paper. After a minute transfer them to another plate and drizzle the lokma balls with the syrup and enjoy!
- The equipment section above contains affiliate links to products I use or recommend.
- The biggest secret to crispy Lokma balls is to continuously pour hot oil over the dough with a slotted spoon in the beginning until it has taken its shape.
- Please be careful with the hot oil and don’t burn yourself. Use a thermometer to measure the temperature and make sure it is in the 185C/365F degree range
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Cook Time: 10 min
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Deep fry
- Cuisine: Middle East